Thursday, August 01, 2013

A Bathroom Update: The Chartreuse Outhouse

We recently updated our powder room.  I am starting to feel like our house is a little too serious so I thought I'd try something a little more playful in the bathroom


There is zero natural light in the bathroom... sorry for all the harsh shadows!  I had an idea to make a faux outhouse door out of some old pallet wood.



I just used nails to hold the whole thing together and then painted the moon and star on it.


I used to be a big Phish fan; the inspiration came from their Farmhouse album cover.




I really love it, I wish it gave off a little more light though.  My husband was joking about the overall look we were going for in the bathroom... he calls this style "industrial outhouse".  Maybe it's a trend that will catch on!

The whole look is a little bold and took some getting used to, but I really like it now.  I found the cutest hooks at Hobby Lobby; they were only a little over $2 with the 40% off coupon.


I made little loops from ribbon to help the towels stay on the hooks.  It just helps a lot when there are little kids using the towels regularly.  The tutorial for that can be found here.

What do you think?  Too bold?  Too "outhouse"?  Thanks so much for stopping by!

Blessings,
Jamie
This post is linked here:  Today's Creative Blog Blue Cricket Design Kurtz Corner Mommy by Day Crafter by Night Cherished Bliss Lines Across My Face Southern Lovely Bear Rabbit Bear French Country Cottage Craft Junkie Too DIY Home Sweet Home Saved by Love Domestically Speaking Funky Junk Interiors Homemaker on a Dime Eisy Morgan The Answer is Chocolate Making the World Cuter Craft-O-Maniac lolly jane 504 Main I Heart Naptime Singing Three Little Birds mad in crafts House of Hepworths Somewhat Simple Chic on a Shoestring Keeping it Simple Be Different Act Normal Sew Can Do Sew Chatty Pinkapotamus The Girl Creative Flamingo Toes Tatertots and Jello Sisters of the Wild West Reasons to Skip the Housework Giggles Glitz and Glam Tip JunkieThe Trendy Treehouse Ladybug Blessings Night Owl Crafting Tea Rose Home My Girlish Whims Allie Makes Gluesticks Thrifty 101 Momnivores Dilemma A Little Knick Knack Miss Mustard Seed Freckled Laundry kojo designs A vision to remember Primitive and Proper 733 Rook no 17 Home Stories A to Z Naptime Crafters Whipperberry delightful order blissful and domestic elizabeth and co diy by design gingersnap crafts>my repurposed life http://www.myrepurposedlife.com/http://www.remodelaholic.com

16 comments:

  1. Looks so great! That light fixture is so unique and fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie! It looks like my powder room...I mean the color! You can make it look less harsh by using natural light light bulbs...it really makes a difference. I love, love, love the turbine pendant! So very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute theme ~ I love it and the color. I have that same little bird hook and just put mine up last week (to hide some other nail holes...I make more holes instead of patching...that's the way I roll!).

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! You hit the nail on the head - that is so fun! I adore your "Industrial Outhouse" look!
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a very fun room! LOVE the turbine light!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This green is one of our favorite colors! Love love love. The whole look works - a little whimsy and humor is perfect. Share this on our linky party that opens Tuesday!
    BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Link and Hop

    Best of days ~ Denise and Sharon
    Follow us:
    Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Bloglovin ~ Pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love the outhouse door art!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the turbine light fixture against the green walls! Going to pin that one to show my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I struggle with finding the balance between "too serious" and "too kindergarten" in my house, too ;). Love the outhouse sign! Industrial outhouse...yes, I think there's definitely a future trend there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My aunt LOVED outhouse decor AND diy... she would have gone nuts for this!
    catching you!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the out house sign...Very original...right up my alley. Just pinned. I'm a new blogger and found you through Baltimore Bloggers on Facebook.
    Take care!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! And the window that looks like you have one now! Thanks so much for your so sweet comment on my blog yesterday! xo Maria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice blog. It really helped me for my one assignment. Thanks for sharing. RV Roof leaks Repair

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is indeed so playful! From the color of the walls to your accessories - you did a very good job! These photos look good, even though you don't have natural light inside the bathroom. Hehe! Well, I'm sure you've been enjoying its design until today. Hope you also share your other rooms to us. Thanks! :)

    Amos Daniel @ JamieHooper.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your powder room, Jamie! Your color combination looks awesome and refreshing to the eyes. Allow me to bookmark this post and use your photos as inspiration for the renovation of our new house. Anyway, do you have any ideas on how to stage a house? Please share it too. Thanks! :)

    Chad Hovde @ TraditionsRealtyTeam

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...